Whoever decided that the default behavior of Windows Update is to suddenly reboot the computer with absolutely no warning needs to be fed feet first into a wood chipper.
Probability of a tornado within 25 miles of a given point.
Hatched area means 10% or higher probability of an EF2 to EF5 tornado
The hail and strong wind prediction maps are just as troubling, 45% chance of 3/4" or larger hail within 25 miles and a >10% chance of 2" or larger. A 45% chance of wind gusts over 50 knots and >10% chance of 65 knots
...OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AND TORNADOES EXPECTED A LARGE
PORTION OF ERN NE...NRN KS EWD ACROSS IA AND FAR SERN SD...
GIVEN THE EXPECTED STRONG THERMODYNAMICS SETTING UP ACROSS THE
CENTRAL PLAINS AT THE CURRENT TIME...THE SIGNIFICANT TROUGH AND WIND
MAX CURRENTLY CROSSING CENTRAL ROCKIES WILL BE PROVIDING NOT ONLY
THE FAVORABLE DEEP LAYER SHEAR BUT LARGE SCALE ASCENT TO SUPPORT
TORNADIC SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT THIS AFTERNOON.
LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND INSTABILITY INCREASING RAPIDLY NWD THRU THE
PLAINS INTO NEB TO THE E OF A DEVELOPING LOW AND DRY LINE. BY MID
AFTERNOON SURFACE LOW WILL BE SWRN NEB WITH DRY LINE EXTENDING SSWWD
TO VICINITY ERN NM/TX BORDER.
WITH MLCAPES RISING TO AOA 2500 J/KG AND STRONG VEERING SHEAR
PROFILES WITH LARGE HODOGRAPHS...SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORMS WILL FIRST
DEVELOP BY MID AFTERNOON IN AREA OF WEAKEST CINH OVER CENTRAL NEB
INTO NWRN KS AHEAD OF DRY LINE WHERE STRONGEST HEATING IS TAKING
SUPERCELLS WILL THEN CONTINUE DEVELOPING PROGRESSIVELY EWD VICINITY
AND S OF E/W FRONTAL ZONE THAT WILL EXTEND ACROSS NRN NEB INTO IA.
ENHANCED LOW LEVEL SHEAR COUPLED WITH LOW LCLS SUPPORTS LONG LIVED
TORNADIC SUPERCELLS INCLUDING POTENTIAL FOR STRONG TORNADOS.
IN ADDITION TO TORNADOS VERY LARGE HAIL WILL ACCOMPANY ANY SUPERCELL
AND AS STORMS DEVELOP UPSCALE BY THIS EVENING A MORE ORGANIZED
DAMAGING WIND THREAT WILL EVOLVE FROM ERN NEB INTO IA.
FURTHER S INTO NRN KS...WHILE STORMS MAY BE SOMEWHAT MORE SCATTERED
DUE TO WARMER MID LEVEL TEMPERATURES THERE WILL STILL BE A POTENTIAL
FOR SIGNIFICANT SEVERE BOTH TORNADOS AND LARGE HAIL AS MLCAPES WILL
BE ABOVE 3000 J/KG WITH DEEP LAYER SHEAR IN THE 5OKT RANGE.
HAVE EXTENDED THE RISK OF SEVERE STORMS FURTHER S ALONG TX/NM BORDER
AS NOW APPEARS THAT DRY LINE WILL MIX NO FURTHER E THAN THE BORDER
BY THIS EVENING. STORMS EXPECTED TO BE HIGH BASED HOWEVER SUFFICIENT
SHEAR/INSTABILITY FOR SUPERCELLS WILL CONTINUE THREAT OF LARGE HAIL
AND DAMAGING DOWNBURSTS.
Practically the whole state of Nebraska is under a Tornado Watch tonight, along with northern Kansas, north-eastern Colorado, southern South Dakota and western Iowa.
AVIATION...TORNADOES AND A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAILI'm working on setting up my old beater Celeron 300 computer so that I can monitor the radar without needing to endanger my brand new Dell. It hasn't been turned on since I was in San Diego (it was my weather station computer), so it needs tons of Windows Updates.
SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 2.5 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE
WIND GUSTS TO 70 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO
550. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 26035.