1. Choose five to ten of your all time favorite books.
2. Take the first sentence of the first chapter and make a list in your journal.
3. Don't reveal the author or the title of the book.
4. Now everyone try and guess! Cross them off as they're guessed correctly.
"Rian, wife of Huor, dwelt with the people of the House of Hador; but when rumour came to Dor-lomin of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and yet she could hear no news of her lord, she became distraught and wondered forth into the wild alone." The Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. "Jack Ross parked his classic 1962 Corvette convertible in a slot of the small paved lot at Patrons."
3. "I went out to see my Father in Rego Park."
4. "'One day, Nugoya, you're going to screw the wrong person.'"
5. "Sneaky, sneaky... edging through shadows."
6. "Discontent ruled the stars, and there were portents in the heavens."
7. "In the Kingdom of Osra, by the banks of the Amu Daja, lay the ancient capital city Sath, a tarnished jewel in a comfortable crown."
8. "The primroses were over."
9. "Diaries are kept by men: strong brushstrokes on smooth mulberry paper, gathered into sheaves and tied with ribbon and placed in a lacquered box."
10. "In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army."
11. "The suburb of Saffron Park lay on the sunset side of London, as red and ragged as a cloud of sunset."